Online Bookshelf

Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Note from the library!

Dear First Grade Parents,

Hello from the Bill Shea Memorial Library at the Thompson School. I am having such a blast getting to know your child(ren). I wanted to reach out to let you know a few things about library time and to ask you all for help. 

A bit about library: During library time, students come in and do their library cheer/movement (ask them to show you), do a library lesson with me and then check out books. Each first grade student checks out three books. Thank you so much for helping your child to remember library day and for getting their books back each week. I know Mondays are tricky!  If a child consistently is having a hard time with returning books, we usually make a plan for them to keep their books in their classrooms.  This year I will be teaching the students all about navigating the library as well as using read aloud times to reinforce the ideas/concepts they are learning in their classrooms. Students will meet new authors (in person and through my read-alouds) and fall in love with new characters from books. They will also continue to learn about genres and finding books on the shelves. 

The library has a website on which I blog as often as I can (not enough :() and also from which you can view our library collection as well as connect to the town library system. Please check it out by clicking here.

Now the ask: Your child’s library day is Monday. The students in Mrs. Melnik’s class come to library from 12:15pm to 12:55pm. If you have any free time, even once a month or once in awhile, it would be very helpful to have more hands on deck during library time. Volunteers help students find books, read to the children, draw or do puzzles with them during check out time or help me to check out books for students. Volunteers also help me keep the library looking warm and inviting for all by shelving books and cleaning up after and during classes. All you need to do to volunteer is to fill out a CORI form with Ms.Vicki and come speak to me or email me. 

If you are unable to help during your child’s class, but you would like to be involved, definitely let me know. I can always use an extra set of hands.

Thanks so much.

Ms. Liza

No comments:

Post a Comment