Online Bookshelf

Saturday, November 1, 2014

PTO

1.  The Thompson PTO has designated November as our Month for Giving!  We are kicking off our direct donation drive today; please look for the donation form in your child's folder.  We set a goal for this year- participation from at least 100 families!  Can you help us meet our goal? We anticipate spending $100 per child in this upcoming year. 100% of your donation goes to enrichment and activities that improve our school and build our community. Every donation helps!

2.  We have 2 open parent seats on our School Council and 5 candidates. Please review the bios below and then click on the voting link at the bottom of the page to select up to 2 candidates. Voting ends on Wednesday, November 5 at 8 PM. Thank you. —Thompson PTO

CANDIDATES:

Sarah Glover
I am mom to a third grader at Thompson and feel grateful every day we have such a wonderful school and After School program.  I have spent nearly 25 years working on k-12 education policy and education reform issues at state and district levels.  I currently work at the Harvard Graduate School of Education where my role is to help connect the school’s research to teachers, school leaders, and other educators in the field.  Most of my experience has been working with school districts and helping them to establish strategic plans that are designed to significantly improve student outcomes.  The experience teaches me that student learning cannot be left to chance; it is something that needs to be front and center, with learning goals well understood by the school, parents, and our children.  I have been really impressed thus far with how the school has embraced the new state standards and the quality of assignments, homework and student projects.  I would look forward to learning more about and supporting how excellent, well-rounded learning for our children remains a priority and serves as the clear focus of our school community.   I would love to serve the Thompson community on the School Council.  Thank you!


Carmen Henriquez
Hi everyone, my name is Carmen and I am the mother of Valeria and Eloisa Ortez-Henriquez, first and second graders. This is my daughters’ second year at Thompson School and we just love this community. From the wonderful privilege to be able to safely walk our kids to school together with neighbors we trust, to the multiple opportunities the school offers our children to learn at class and after school.  I would love the chance to become part of the School Council because I truly believe that my 10-years experience at SEIU –mediating labor disputes, negotiating contracts with multiples employers, and my ability to rally people from different walks of life around issues of common interest– can be put to good use in support of our principal’s work; and can help move forward the school goals and agenda. I am sure there is a lot I would have to learn if I were to join the School Consul; a challenge I would undertake with diligence and sense of humor. As someone who grew up in El Salvador, I’m sensitive of the need to build bridges across cultures, so I am also interested in helping to make information about district and school policy, issues and challenges more accessible to none English-speaking families. And contribute in that way to strengthen Thompson School’s connection with its diverse community of parents and teachers. Thank you!

Rebecca Eden Wolfe Lane
Our decision to move to this neighborhood 5 years ago was greatly influenced by all the wonderful things we heard about Thompson. I’m excited and humbled by this opportunity to contribute to the welcoming spirit of our community and the excellence of our school. My work takes me into schools and districts,  and has me meeting with education researchers and policymakers all over the country; yet I wasn’t sure how exactly I should get involved in our own school here at home. The school site council seems like the ideal way for me to share my professional skills with the community,  and I know this service will have much to teach me,  as well. I direct a national initiative called Students at the Center,  a project of the nonprofit Jobs for the Future. Our goal is to synthesize the best knowledge of how children learn,  how we motivate students,  and how to support schools -- and get this research into the hands of educators in actionable formats. I previously served on a site council for a school in Bridgeport,  CT as a local “expert." It was incredibly fulfilling and meaningful work, and I’m sure it will be even more so now with Elliot already in kindergarten and Naomi (class of 2024) coming soon.

Chris Dax Pacheco
I  have held many leadership roles like Graduate Student Council Chair and Chair of the Postdoctoral Association at MIT.  Currently I work for a large Life Science company and frequently interact with local Biotech, Pharmaceutical and Academic labs.  I grew up in New Jersey in a strikingly similar neighborhood to our Thompson district.  My family routinely struggled financially, however many of my peers came from families with means or families that had less than us.  Luckily my brother and I ended up in successful career paths and we’ve always attributed part of our success to the environment in which we grew up. I believe that Thompson, unlike any other school in the area, has the opportunity to provide our children with a wonderful experience that simply cannot be taught in the classroom.  Our kids can benefit from the unique backgrounds and different perspectives of our community and I would love the opportunity to work with the Thompson teachers and parents to provide the best academic and social learning environment for our school.

Moriah Tyrrell 
I am the mother to four children: two that are currently at Thompson.  Next year I will have three children at Thompson, and overall, I still have 10 years still left in the Thompson community.  I have a degree in Human Development/Early Childhood Education from Wheelock College and spent eight years at the YMCA of the North Shore as the Director of Youth and Family Programming.  During the past five years as a Thompson parent I have been a room parent, volunteered in classes and at various events and this year I have started getting involved in the Arlington EATS program.  I am interested in making a difference in my children's school, to ensure that all students get the best possible education.   I think it's important to support our excellent teachers and make sure they are getting the services they need.

Please VOTE HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment